Tale of Genji - Update 1

I feel like I've been reading The Tale of Genji nonstop since I started last weekend.  Even so, though, I've still hardly made a dent in this massive book:

Don't get me wrong, though, it's really quite enjoyable.  As the characters were being introduced in the first few chapters it felt more like a collection of isolated short stories, but at this point things are coming together in a much more cohesive manner.  Additionally, the discussions happening over at the Summer of Genji blog are entertaining and informative.  To make things even more interesting, the translator of this edition of the book (Royall Tyler) has joined in on the conversation. I'd post more, but I need to get back to reading if I'm going to finish this book any time soon.

Oh, on a completely unrelated tangent, I implemented a new comment security feature to help prevent all the spam I've been getting recently.  If for some reason you are unable to successfully post a comment, please send me an email at scott [at] somesmart [dot] com.

Comments

Kathleen
Kathleen on 07/06/2010 3:11 p.m.

Hardly made a dent? You're almost halfway through! It's making me realize how little I've read lately...

Scott
Scott on 07/06/2010 4:38 p.m.

Well, it <i>feels</i> like I've hardly made a dent considering I've been reading at every possible moment!

Erin Leigh
Erin Leigh on 07/06/2010 11:04 p.m.

Hah! I had the exact same thought as Kathleen did!

Scott
Scott on 07/07/2010 6:34 a.m.

Fair enough, I guess I have to stop complaining about how long this book is at some point. No one is forcing me to read it, after all.

Christy
Christy on 07/08/2010 4:39 p.m.

Wow, that's great progress, considering 364 pages is the size of a normal adult fiction book. But I know it can be daunting when you realize that you have to read that amount of pages once more to finish.

Scott
Scott on 07/08/2010 8:17 p.m.

Actually, I still have to read that amount <i>twice</i> more to finish! It's entertaining and fascinating, though, so I really can't complain.

steve donoghue
steve donoghue on 07/08/2010 10:47 p.m.

Those pictures - of the gargantuan book nearly crushing that eensy-weensy table, with the rest of the world in the distant background - are hilarious! Like something out of a horror movie!

Scott
Scott on 07/09/2010 7:01 a.m.

Thanks Steve! Glad to hear I was able to successfully capture <i>Genji's</i> crushing weight in this picture.

Comments are closed.